Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Slayers (1995) Review Part 1: Episode 1

So.. Some of you may not   know    about the anime called Slayers,  it was a adventure/fantasy and comedy series, based on a set of light  novels with 52 books, it seems. In 1989 written by Hajime Kanzaka and  illustrated by Rui Araizumi, that  have been  conveniently   packed into 15 volumes, only 8 have been released here in the States, since Tokyopop has sadly shut down, along with the company who had released the original anime, Central  Park Media.  There is many prequels, OVAs and what not.  Those  I have not seen,  I have no nostalgia factor with the series,  since  I didn't truly get into  anime   until 2007, of course  I knew  about  Pokemon and what not, but that is not important.    
I purchased part A of the collection of the Slayers original series, distribute  by Central Park Media, at my local , resale shop, yesterday.  here's some photos of my own copy of the dvd,




Now.. on the to the review! ^^;

                                                                                                                                                                   
Episode 1: ANGRY? Lina's Furious Dragon Slave!

Our story begin, with our   heroine and master sorceress, 
Lina Inverse 















breaking  in on a group of bandits, as we come to learn named,  The Dragon's fang.
the Dragon's fang, are celebrating  their victory on finding treasure, which  Lina  decides to take from them and to  kill/attack their  leader with her fire magic.  
Later  on while traveling in the woods, a member of Dragon's fang, stops a heroine. To apologize, only to trick, Lina  and  other  members to ambush her out of revenge.
But as soon Lina, can use her  magic, to stop her attackers, our second known  main character pops up.  A passing traveler  who thinks  Lina  is a little girl, and not a powerful magic-using  young woman. 
Gourry Gabriev










comes to her aid. For rescuing her, our male lead decides to accompany  Lina  to  Atlantic City (why she wants   to travel there, has not been given yet).  Traveling to the next town to  relax and eat.  While enjoying their meal,  a elder  gentleman   approaches the pair Asking if  Lina, is  the great  Dragon spooker, thinking she had defeated the Dragon's Fang's leader's pet dragon.  (btw I'm doing this from memory  so  if  I get things wrong  I apologize, like i said before I'm not a expert, I'm a amateur). Which comes to be known, she did not,   leading also to realizing the dragon  has escaped. And the town/village has half been destroyed.  of course  the old man is mad,  our heroes fight the dragon. But!  here's the funny thing,   the dragon runs away, cause  Lina and Gourry fall down while fighting the dragon. so  the    dragon avoids stepping on them and runs away.   I tried to make  this  review  short as possible, even   I' m tried of writing out the plot  as much as you are tired of reading XD.

So!  here's my thoughts on the series  thus far....
Story and art 10/10 :
The story is very fun and entertaining  and   good and adventurous and funny as well =)   the art has to me has  aged quiet well, though I guess you can tell it's still  retro.


Dubbing etc. :  There's  some cheesy lines here and there,    it's the 90's so it's all in   good fun I suppose.   Though  Lina's one-liners can be  quiet good.

Overall: The series is not gonna be nothing special it's a entertaining, fun ride.   nothing more with 90's goodness,  I'm sure they'll be more action etc. at some  point. 

I give it a 9.5/10  

Until next time!  ~Koneko~

No comments:

Post a Comment